Sunday, July 22, 2012

Couponing

So, yesterday I decided to try my hand at some couponing.  I did not have a paper yet, so I used what I could find online.  It was very easy to figure out.  Yesterday I was able to score like 10 different items for $1.50.  First thing this morning, I decided to go buy a paper.  I do not subscribe to our paper because I do not read it, nor do I use the coupons out of it.  But today I did.

I used the different blogs that help find the coupons, went through and printed and cut what I needed, made a little note with each coupon, and went on my way.  I went to a few different stores, and in that time I was able to get a $2 shirt, free dog treats, free women's hygiene products, two packages of free pens, and a ton of other stuff that was UNDER $1.  I then went back later to my local Fry's for a small grocery trip.  I did not buy much, but save 65% on my bill.  I was thrilled!

I will continue to do it on weekends when my husband is home to tend to my kids.  Weekends only, because even though there are blogs that help you get organized, it is WAY too time consuming.  There are two major downfalls to couponing.  The first is the time consuming part.  I was just about going crazy at the small amount of time I had to spend searching for each match up!   I do not know how people sit behind a computer screen all day and do this.  And I only got ONE paper so I could do ONE haul.  There are people that will buy 6 different papers, spend hours behind a computer screen, and hoard and hoard and hoard.  I think this is really ridiculous if one has children.  It isn't fair to them at all.  I think your kids would rather have you tending to them than figuring out how to score 8 toothbrushes :-(  I just think that it isn't for people with a lot to do.  I think it is great for someone who has nothing to do all day, doesn't really like leaving the house, and needs a hobby!

The only other downfall is that you have to make sure you leave early enough, because the hoarders like to go out and scoop everything up with their millions of papers.  I have said for a long time now, the stores need to put a stop to it....ASAP.  There are people (such as myself and plenty of others) who would like to get good deals on things for their families without having to go to the store and see shelves cleared because of the hoarders who will go stuff all their merchandise in a closet somewhere.  It isn't right at all, and extremely ill-mannered.

That being said, I think it is great to do every once in a while (especially with groceries), and as long as you only get what you will use :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment