Friday, July 13, 2012

Chocolate & Caramel Covered Shortbread - Recipe and Review

When I first saw this recipe on Pinterest, I almost drooled.  I am not a sweets eater.  I don't like candy at all, I can't stand cake, can't stand milk chocolate, and only like a few certain desserts.  Three of them happened to be combined into this ONE recipe.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

When I was making this, I noticed that it called for orange zest.  I do not like citrus of any kind.  I understand that orange goes with dark chocolate a lot, but I do not like citrus at ALL.  I was telling my mom who is down visiting that I really would like to leave the zest out, as I am afraid it will ruin these.  I went ahead and used the zest since the original recipe called for it and it was my first time making these.  Next time? These could not have been more perfect.  They turned out looking AMAZING.  The caramel turned out more than perfect, even with me not having a candy thermometer!  Everything set perfectly and cut perfectly.  The downfall?  THE ZEST!  It had way too much of a powerful flavor for me.  If it weren't for the zest and me going against my better judgement to use it, this would have been a 5 star dessert.  Next time it will be for sure ;-)  If you love citrus flavor, you will not change a thing about these.  If you want these to taste exactly like the name of the recipe, ditch the orange zest!

Ingredients:

 For Shortbread:
10 tbsp. salted butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
Zest of half an orange
1 egg yolk, whisked
1 2/3 cups All Purpose flour

For Caramel:
14 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
Sea salt flakes, to top

Directions:

  1. Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over two of the sides.
  2. Combine the melted butter, sugar, salt and zest with a fork in a large bowl. Add the yolk and again combine with the fork. Add the flour and stir with a heavy spoon or your hands and combine the dough until it is well combined. Place the dough in the prepared pan and press down evenly with your hands until the pan is covered. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to one hour. Remove and bake at 350 for 25-28 minutes, until very lightly browned. Allow to cool while you are preparing the caramel.
  3. In a heavy bottomed pot, combine all caramel topping ingredients save for the extract and bean paste. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for the goal of about 230 degrees. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until it begins to climb over 235. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract and paste. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then pour over the shortbread base. Once chilled, top with melted chocolate and sprinkle with sea salt.
Notes:  I LOVE salted caramel.  The flavor is better than plain caramel alone.  However, I do not like crunching on sea salt and neither does my husband.  I went ahead and just used one tsp. regular salt and the flavor was dead-on.  Also, I did not have vanilla bean paste and the caramel still came out perfect.


Recipe adapted from food.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment